General Summer Reading Club FAQs
What are the dates for the Summer Reading Club this year? June 1 – July 31
Who can participate? Babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kids, teens, adults – everyone! We would love it if you have a library card, but it is not necessary to participate.
What can be read to complete the reading goals? Basically anything! Books, audiobooks, e-books, graphic novels – they all count. Even if it’s something that you’re rereading, it counts. We encourage you to check out items from the library, but you may also count the materials you read that do not come from our collection. Reading material should be appropriate for your grade and reading level.
Can I count reading that I did before the official June 1 start date? We ask that you only count reading that you’ve done within the official dates of the club (June 1-July 31).
Youth Summer Reading Clubs FAQs
What ages can participate in the Youth Summer Reading Club? Kids and teens ages 18 & under can all participate in the Youth Summer Reading Club.
How do I register for the Club? Drop by the Youth Desk at the library beginning June 1 to register. If you’re not ready to visit the library yet, we do have a version of the Club that you can participate in online. If you’d like to participate in the online-only version, please email email@example.com for the link.
What are the reading goals and prizes this year?
- Children 2 years old & younger: Listen to 20 books and win an Indestructibles book and crayon wheel.
- Children in preschool-entering 1st grade: Read or listen to 20 books for a sticker sheet and stacking crayon; 30 books for a flying butterfly; 40 books for a book, grab bag prize of your choice, plus one entry in the grand prize drawing ($200 Target gift card, $200 Woodfield Mall gift card, or Art Prize Pack). Keep reading past 40 books for a second entry in the grand prize drawing.
- Children entering 2nd-6th grade: Read 5 hours for glitter stacking crayons and notepad; 10 hours for a flying butterfly; 15 hours for a book, grab bag prize of your choice, plus one entry in the grand prize drawing ($200 Target gift card, $200 Woodfield Mall gift card, or Art Prize Pack). Keep reading past 15 hours for a second entry in the grand prize drawing.
- Pre-teens and teens entering 7th-12th grade: Read 5 hours for a mini flashlight key chain and candy grab bag; 10 hours for a journal and Sketch & Sniff gel crayons; 15 hours for for a book, grab bag prize of your choice, plus one entry in the grand prize drawing ($200 Target gift card, $200 Woodfield Mall gift card, or Art Prize Pack). Keep reading past 15 hours for a second entry in the grand prize drawing.
Are there any additional ways to win prizes? Yes! We have several fun activities planned with the opportunity to win prizes including:
- Find Carly the Crayon: Each day of the Summer Reading Club (Tuesday, June 1-Saturday, July 31), Carly the Crayon will be hidden somewhere in the Youth Department. The first person to find her each day can claim a prize at the Youth Desk.
- Family Outdoor Scavenger Hunt: Throughout the Summer Reading Club, pick up a scavenger hunt form at the library or print one here. Complete the colorful challenges, then stop at the Youth Desk by July 31 with your completed form for a small prize.
- Teen Outdoor Challenge (entering grades 6-12): Throughout the Summer Reading Club, teens can take their own challenge by picking up a BINGO card at the library or printing one here. If you complete the outdoor challenges in a row like BINGO, bring your completed form to the Youth Desk by July 31 for a small prize.
Adult Summer Reading Club FAQs
What ages can participate in the Adult Summer Reading Club? Anyone ages 19 or older can participate in the Adult Summer Reading Club.
How does the Summer Reading Club work this year?
- You can register or have a librarian register you on READsquared.
- To be eligible for the grand prize, you must read at least three books.
- When you read three books, you can enter the grand prize drawing of your choice.
- As an incentive to keep reading, you’ll get an additional entry for each book read.
- Track your reading online using READsquared (ask a librarian for help!) or use this paper log; write the title and author in the space provided.
*Prizes are for Itasca Community Library cardholders only.
What is the reading goal? The goal for each participant is to read at least three books. After you read three books, you’ll be eligible for the grand prize drawing.
What are the grand prizes?
Your choice of:
- $50 gift certificate to Antonio Ristorante Italiano
- $50 gift certificate to Church Street Brewery
- $50 gift certificate to Naxos: A Greek Island Restaurant
- $50 gift certificate to Shelly’s Salon & Spa
* Prizes are generously donated by the Friends of the Itasca Community Library.
How do I register for summer reading using READsquared? In your web browser, go to itascalibrary.readsquared.com and click on the word Register in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
To register as an individual, click Myself and follow these steps:
- Select your age from the drop-down list and click Continue.
- Provide your first name, last name, phone number, email address and then create a username and password. Click Continue.
Now you’ll be at your Dashboard. This is where you’ll log your reading, and we’ll talk about that in a moment.
How do I log the books that I’ve read? To log your books, you’ll go to itascalibrary.readsquared.com and click on the word Login in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. Enter your username and password and click the box that says Login. Now you’ll be at your Summer Reading Dashboard.
If you’re logging books, follow these steps:
- Right underneath the box that gives your Total Points on your Dashboard, there is a box with the words Log Reading. Click this box.
- Now you’ll receive a pop-up box.
- If you’re logging books, you’ll need to enter the title of the book you read. You may also enter the author and/or a book review, but it’s not required. Click Submit. If you need to add another book, repeat Step 1.
You can also log your reading on the READsquared app which can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. To use the app, you need to have already registered at itascalibrary.readsquared.com.
Call 630-773-1699, chat with us online, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to help!