What you need to know
- COVID-19 is a new strain in the coronavirus family of viruses. Symptoms include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of sense of taste and smell, and breathing difficulties.
- To stay healthy, keep washing your hands. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds each time.
- Social distancing is imperative to stop the spread of the virus. Stay at home as much as possible. Maintain a distance of six feet between yourself and others. Do not attend group gatherings.
- DuPage County has moved back to Phase 3 following a COVID resurgence. You can find an outline of the phase here, and personal care information here.
- People over the age of 60 are most at risk. The following conditions also increase vulnerability: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, abnormally high blood pressure, and cancer.
- If you feel unwell but are not experiencing the previously stated symptoms, don’t panic. Maintain social distance and follow the same treatment strategies you normally would when experiencing a cold or flu-like illness.
- Illinois residents are required wear masks when in public.
If you want more facts and information about the virus, check out the resources below.
ILLINOIS COVID-19 HOTLINE
DUPAGE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Information and updates: https://www.dupagehealth.org/590/Coronavirus-Disease-2019-COVID-19-Inform
Map of confirmed cases in DuPage County: https://www.dupagehealth.org/610/DuPage-County-COVID-19-Dashboard
Call Center: 630-221-7030, Monday–Saturday 8:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m., Sunday 10:00 a.m–6:00 p.m.
ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH (IDPH) COMMUNICABLE DISEASES
Call 217-782-2016 during business hours
Call 800-782-7860 after hours
If you contact IDPH first, you may be referred to the DuPage County Health Department.
To apply for food assistance, visit this website: http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=30357
Itasca Food pantry: https://www.itascacares.org/pantry
Please see the VA’s website: https://www.va.gov/coronavirus-veteran-frequently-asked-questions/
We’ve compiled a list of mental health resources on our Helpful Websites page: https://www.itascalibrary.org/research/websites/health-medicine/
Information on how federal financial aid is affected can be found here: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus
- Economic Impact Payment for Non-Filers: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here
- Up-to-date infographics: https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
- How social distancing can help “flatten the curve”: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
- About Coronavirus from the World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
- News and information from the Center of Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html